Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Dawn

As 2008 falls behind us, I can't help but think of all of the years gone by. From time to time I try very hard to focus on memories that might otherwise fade as the years have. I try to refresh the best laughs I've had, the beautiful moments, and the bittersweet ones too, as it all is cherished and important to life.

Then the clock strikes 12 and we celebrate the beginning of the New Year, 2009. It is a time of fresh starts, a time for change, and a time for hope. For me it's time to light a little, white candle. One I have kept with me and lit every year in remembrance of my dear friend Dawn. Today would have been her birthday, to me it still is. Her and her brother died of Cystic Fibrosis in 1984. Two rays of sunshine gone when I was only 8.

While many incredible strides have been made towards a cure for Cystic Fibrosis the road is still a long one. I realized a couple of years ago that I was at a point in my life that I was able to donate to the fund. I thought to myself, I want to do something meaningful, something special, something artistic, and from my heart, the very place hurt by the loss of my childhood friend. (I truly believe that if creativity comes from your heart it is 1000x's better, in sentimentality and execution.) The instant I thought that, I realized that it was perfect because Dawn was also such a little artist, always drawing, always being so creative. I don't remember how I came up with the idea for making dolls, but when I did I felt like I'd opened a light inside me. And ever since I've been working to make the best of the idea.

Now I don't think that it was a concious thing that I find myself here, blogging about this and introducing you to my first Dawn Doll, but it all just happened to be today, this day, Dawn's Birthday. So, thank you for being here with me, while I share my sunshine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I am sharing with you, the special birthday of Dawn, and the first of Dawn Dolls. Shortly I will link to a place where you can purchase one, proceeds of course will be donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment